Friday, April 2, 2010

Living and Learning

Fact : I love my boys. I would die for my boys. No question.
Fact : God loved his son. He loved him enough to offer Him as a sacrifice for me. He sent his son as payment for my sins. WOW! What amazing love.

On December 19th last year, while on our way home from a family Christmas party, Noah prayed to ask Jesus in his heart. It was an amazing, humbling, precious, loving, deeply touching, life-changing moment in the life of our family. To see God grab ahold of Noah's heart at the young age of 4 changed my life too. By God calling Noah, he awakened part of me that had been asleep for quite some time. It renewed my desire to really get into his word and SEEK Him with purpose and intent. Before then, I would read the Bible and study the word, but it often felt like homework. Ya know? I desired to learn more about God, but I don't think I had a burning desire to do so. Now, don't get me wrong, I daily struggle with the desire to sit and read, but I think the part that has changed the most is my desire to understand what he means. Nothing in life, past/present/future, happens by accident. NOTHING. There are NO coincidences. NONE!
As I reflect on Easter this year, my heart is in a different place. It is as if God has flipped the switch to "on" and I need to know more of him. He has changed my desires. As I let go of some of the control issues I so DEARLY cling to, I feel free - not scared. Not afraid. Not alone. I don't feel like the world is going to end. I don't feel like it won't get done. I feel fulfilled. I feel at peace. I feel calm.
A few weeks ago the boys got a playset for the backyard as a combined birthday gift from my parents and sister. I told the boys when friends come over to play it is important to show them God's love while they are playing. I explained that many of our neighbors do not know Jesus, encouraging them to share Jesus with their friends and how important that was. Well, Noah took my instruction and has made it a point, on his own, to ask each friend if they know who God is. Most of the time they have either changed the subject or acted irritated. The other day, this happened:
Noah: Do you know God?
Friend: No.
N: Did you know NO ONE IS BIGGER THAN God?
F: I am bigger than God.
N: No you are NOT!
F: Yes I am!
N: *tears* Mommy, F said she is bigger than God! Can you tell her she is not. She needs to know how much God loves her.
Me : F, come up here and sit with me on the porch for a minute.
F: *Joining me on the porch* What?
M: Noah is right, No one is bigger than God.
F: Nu-Uh! I am bigger than God.
M: Did you make the tree's?
F: No.
M: God did. Did you make the sky, ground, birds or flowers?
F: No.
M: God did. HE made everything and he made you. HE loves you!
Then F changed the subject. I dropped it and explained to Noah how important it is for us to share God's love with our friends, but he is the one who will make them understand. That is not up to us.
It has been so convicting to watch Noah talk to his friends about God. He has no fear. He has a pure, childlike faith. It is beautiful.
During this time of pain in my life, I feel so blessed. I wish the pain would end and I could be more active and get back to living like a 31 year old instead of an 80 year old. I wish I could get back to completing my weightloss goals, but that is not what God wants for me right now. The pain and restrictions have taught me a great deal about God. About His love. Pain brings many gifts. He has made me more aware of suffering. More aware of those hurting. More aware of HIS work. It is as if He has visibly taken me out of the equation. It is ALL him. It is All His work with in me. It is a blessing. I pray, when the suffering is over, I will NEVER forget what he is teaching me.
Happy Easter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How Awesome!! Having children changes everything.

Happy Easter~

Jenny said...

Sister I am so glad that you have come to know the gift of weakness and pain. It is hard and wearisome at times but the gifts and insight you receive far outweigh the cost. I am glad that God has brought you to the very end of yourself so that you may truly begin to

Jenny said...

... know the depths of Him!

Erika :-) said...

Seeing your writings and how you are continuing to make yourself better instead of wallowing in self-pity is an inspiration to us all! Thank you for sharing!

********************* What's New with the Dells? ********************

*********************************** Becky Dell *********************************

*********************Child of God, happily married to a wonderful man and together we are raising 2 amazing Boys!*************

About Me

My photo
I am a child of God! I am happily married to the love of my life and together we are raising two amazing boys.