Thursday, January 7, 2010

My $5 dinner cookbook menu plan, day 2

What is on the menu tonight?
Mexican Rice Casserole
page 156

Here is the run down...
Tomato Sauce $.39
Ground Beef $1.78 ( I used 1lbs instead of 3/4 lbs)
Chili Powder $.10 ( I go by Erin's math for the cost breakdown of the spices. )
Ground Cumin $.10
Garlic Powder $.05
Onion Powder $.05
Salt & Pepper
White Rice $.20 (I used Jasmine Rice left over from a previous meal)
Cheese $.24 ( I used 1/4 cup of cheddar instead of 1 cup mont jack cheese. It was great!)
1 can Black Beans $1.00
1/2 can corn $.35
1/2 Avocado $.33
Total $4.59
The spices, ready to go!
The beef is browned and the spices and tomato sauce have been added.
I used black beans for a side instead of eating this with Watermelon because it wasn't in season.
I didn't want to pay what Kroger was charging for corn on the cob, (Erin suggested serving with corn on the cob), so I added 1/2 a can of corn to the casserole. You can see that 1/4 cup of cheddar got the job done!
Served with avocado ( I only mixed it w/ a tiny bit of garlic powder, salt and pepper) and black beans.



It was delicious!! Another winner. Overall, we liked this better than the turkey burgers. The best part
is, we will we have about 1/3 left! I can't wait for lunch tomorrow. YUMMY!

No comments:

********************* What's New with the Dells? ********************

*********************************** Becky Dell *********************************

*********************Child of God, happily married to a wonderful man and together we are raising 2 amazing Boys!*************

About Me

My photo
I am a child of God! I am happily married to the love of my life and together we are raising two amazing boys.